The 2018 Application Window
Applications for 2018 are being accepted through March 5, 2018. Download it below by clicking the icon.
Before preparing this application, please review the criteria outlined below. These instructions are also printed for your convenience inside the application file.
The application and all support material must be submitted or postmarked by March 5, 2018.
The application MUST be typed, no staples. Please do not put the completed application package in any type of binder. Simply paper clip pages in upper left hand corner. It must be postmarked by a post office. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
About the Scholarship:
This scholarship was established by the family of David A. Hicks to celebrate his life. David valiantly fought cancer throughout most of his teen years. Throughout his illness, he was always more concerned with others than he was with his own comfort. He was very interested in the arts and would have pursued a career in the creative arts. Because of that, his family established this scholarship to help other students pursue their passion for performing, visual or graphic arts.
Scholarship Criteria: This is a $1,000 nonrenewable scholarship to be used at a U.S. college/university 2-4 year schools) or a vocational/technical institute school for tuition, books, fees and other costs, but not room and board. This is open to all Berrien County graduating seniors but preference is given to River Valley High School graduates. Criteria, for this scholarship include:
- 2.5 or above GPA,
- Must be pursuing an Associate or Bachelor degree in the Arts. This includes performing, visual and graphic arts.
- Must demonstrate evidence of financial need.
To complete your application, provide the following in order:
- Signed Application
- Three letters of recommendation, one from a teacher, former teacher or school official, one from a community member and one from a personal reference other than a relative
- A one page personal essay, typed, stating your career goals and why you would like to pursue a career in the arts.
- High school transcript, and if not included on this transcript, ACT or SAT transcript
- Evidence of financial need. A copy of FAFSA Determination Letter with Estimated Expected Family Contribution.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com or call (269) 983-3304 x 4. School counselors will be notified by the Foundation in May regarding the scholarship recipient(s). In mid-May, scholarship recipients will receive invitations to the Foundation’s scholarship event in June where certificates will be presented. Information on how to access the scholarship will be sent by the end of June. The scholarship will be paid directly to the college/university on the student’s behalf by early September, if this information is provided.
Return the completed application and all support material to:
Berrien Community Foundation
2900 S. State Street, Suite 2 East
St. Joseph, MI 49085